Purple McCalls.jpg

This was an interesting experience! I use a lot of PDF patterns, especially because shipping to Toronto can be expensive.  But, until now most of the PDF patterns I have used have been from independent or smaller pattern companies.  This is the first one I’ve bought from the big 4, which was a bit of a method than the usual.  I only purchased it this way because while it seemed to be in the catalogue on-line it was not available in my local fabric store so it must have just gone out of pint.

But I noticed a ‘Buy downloadable pattern’ button next to the pattern illustration!  So I ordered the pattern & then instead of the usual link to a PDF, I had to download some software called “Print Sew” which gave me a link to the PDF, which was easy to print.  The pattern instructions are tiled, so you need to print about 6 pages and tape them together.  I didn’t need to print out the cutting directions as I rarely use them.

Anyway the top is a very straightforward sew, it’s a basic t but I liked the look of the split collar neckline with the button trim & I thought it would make a cosy winter top.

The only thing I did differently, because my sweater knit was kind of floppy, was to use some lightweight knit interfacing on the ends of the collar so it would support the buttons.  I was afraid to interface the entire collar as I thought it might make it too stiff/thick, but in retrospect it probably would have been OK.

Here’s a close-up of the pretty buttons, and you can see the lovely marled clear purple colour of the fabric:

Purple Buttons

As with the big 4, it was a bit oversized, so after it was put together I took in the waist about 1/2″ for a more fitted look.  Other than my standard lengthening of 2″ for the arms and 1″ in the body, this was sewn as a standard size 16.

The hems were sewn with a double needle…because the fabric had a tendency to run I folded the raw edge in 1/4″ before turning it up to hem.