I have a severe lack of dress pants – I work in a real estate office where it’s super casual and jeans are fine. However I do like to up it a notch, and one thing that’s been lacking is dressy pants. The pants I tweaked to fit me last year are now too big, which is a good thing and dress pants have been on my list for a while. These pants are my first version of Sewaholic’s Thurlow Pants. If you haven’t been over to visit the super cute Tasia’s Sewaholic Site I highly recommend it!  Her patterns are lovely and she’s Canadian!!

These pants have welt back pockets, a curved waistband, fly front, angled front pockets, belt carriers and have a menswear-design to the back, the pattern is designed so that you sew the centre back seam last to help fit.  They are designed to fit a pear-shaped figure.

Here’s the pattern:

For my first crack at these pants I cut a 14.  They were way too big (I went by the pattern measurements, not the flat pattern).  They were so big I would cut a 10 next time as the pattern sizes are pretty closely graded.  They are also pretty long, so I only had to add 3″ to the pants length.  I did not alter the back (as you can see below) — I wanted to see how they would fit out of the envelope.

Thurlow Pants Front Thurlow Pants Back

The instructions are excellent, my only hiccup was that the welt pockets have a facing from fashion fabric so that the lining doesn’t show through the pocket opening.  That part is not very well illustrated; it’s hard to tell which way’s up when you put on the lining.  I would recommend pinning and folding up to see if you have the pieces lined up properly.

I like the curved waistband, it fits beautifully.  And I also like the menswear construction techniques.

I ended up taking the side and back seams in so much that my front pockets are teeny tiny!  Cutting the correct size will certainly help.  As you can see from the back view, there are some fitting issues, with the excess fabric under the butt.  After these photos were taken I scooped out the back crotch some more, which helped.  I’ll get DH to take an ‘after’ shot sometime so I can compare with this ‘before’!  The front does not look too bad, IMHO.

The fabric is a pinstripe wool from the Wool House, with some silk remnants used for the lining.  The waistband is also lined in silk, although I suppose it could be self lined.  I have enough of the wool left for a skirt.  The top I’m wearing is a Simplicity tank top combined with the ruffle from the Selfish Seamstress’ Coffee Date Dress

Advertisements