M 6288 is my first Fall sewing project; above is an image of the inspiration top from the August issue of In Style. Here is my version of an intense coloured tunic (the detail pics are closer to the actual colours:
Yes, that’s right folks a total of $5.99 – $3.99 for the pattern and $2 for the thread. The fabric, which is a fushia and tomato red sandwashed rayon was given to me by my sister a few years ago. It’s got a great hand – weighty drapey and soft!
The tunic pattern has a checkerboard front, made in 9 sections. I originally cut this as the pattern, with the contrast in the centre, but didn’t like it that way. After
a glass two glasses of wine at about 11:00 pm last night I recut and resewed the front so the contrast filled the bottom 3 front sections. I like this much better!
Just to prove I can drink and sew:
Please remember this kind of precision takes years of dedicated practice! The pattern calls for french seams throughout – which is a nice finish but I think would be difficult to match the seams. I didn’t need to go to that much trouble, so I serged everything. I did baste the intersecting seams to make sure they matched perfectly.
The neckline and sleeves are finished with a self-bias binding. In retrospect I should have stitched it to the outside of the garment, it would have been a nice detail.
I omitted the back loop closure – this has a w-i-d-e neckline & doesn’t need it at all. As a matter of fact I usually take a size 16 and after reading the finished measurements I cut a 12.
Next up, slim khaki pants!